Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition

+4
Snickie
Kittyclaw
Adventurer411
SeeMeInTheShadows
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 pm

From now until August 12th, I'll post a prompt (and edit this post to include it) for each day. You write a 100 word drabble about said prompt. Be appropriate and follow forum rules. Post these drabbles in this topic, as well as coments and questions. If you miss one, no worries. Just post it on a later date.

So far, set to participate we have: Shadows, Kitty, Snickie, Vena, Stella, Rena, Eil

Looks like we've got quite the great crowd. Also, feel free to join in, just send me a PM so I can add you to the list.

Our first challenge will be: Nerves.

27/7: Nerves
28/7: Start
29/7: Rush
30/7: Bronze
31/7: Silver
1/8: Gold
2/8: Fly
3/8: Persevere
4/8: Stride
5/8: Pace
6/8: Underdog
7/8: Success
8/8: All Out
9/8: Speed
10/8: Adrenaline
11/8: Spirit
12/8 Victory

Last edited by SeeMeInTheShadows on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:39 pm; edited 11 times in total
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty Re: The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition

Post by Adventurer411 Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm

He turned to laughter—as long as it kept him sane, they could deal with the lame jokes.

They fought—She found that punching helped dissipate the stress, and he knew the slicing up some hornets
wouldn’t be too bad when it built up.

He worked too much for it to bother him most of the time—She didn’t like it but had to admit that it helped when she assisted him on difficult coding or encryption.

Constantly saving the world from a power-hungry artificial intelligence wasn’t easy, they reflected. Everyone had their own way of coping with the nerves.
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Female Posts : 1150

Character Sheet
Health::
The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Left_bar_bleue20/20The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Energy::
The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Left_bar_bleue3/3The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)
Experience::
The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Left_bar_bleue0/0The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty Re: The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Blarsh, Vena! Je l'aime! (Blarsh is a very good thing in Shadows typing, by the way Very Happy). I love these group shots, and they're so fantastic. That first one for Odd was perfect (and not just because Odd's my favorite character) and now I'm inspired to go write my own...hmmm...
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Awesome, inspiration!

I LOVE JEREMY <3

blarsh, what an interesting word.

Oh really? I was kind of wondering if those group shots were getting tiring, but good to know that you like them.
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet
The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Left_bar_bleue20/20The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Left_bar_bleue3/3The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)
The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Left_bar_bleue0/0The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I also love the group ones, Vena, and the way you pull everyone apart, look at all the individual of it all, and then suddenly bring it all together and show them as the tight knit group they really are. Especially how the group thing works into each person's part--the group gets Odd's laughter, Yumi and Ulrich see eye to eye, Aelita thinks about but also sympathizes with Jer. It's perfect, Vena.

#1- Nerves

Xana thinks about nerves and the fact that children have the nerve to challenge him and his future rule over Earth.

The warriors think about nerves and fact that they spend every moment jumping at strange sounds, staring at cell phones, waiting for the end of a war they know they may never win.

The people of Earth think about nerves, but never will they think about the nerves of a group of children, whose nerves of steel allow them to fight and protect these oblivious people, saving them from unimaginable dangers.

It’s incredible, all the nerves these children have.
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Female Posts : 316

http://www.fanfiction.net/~Kittyclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Kitty <3 Very Happy

I love the first paragraph, how Xana is thinking that the warriors are so arrogant to challenge him while he's not such a great AI himself. The second, too. It shows how always on edge they are. The third wraps it up nicely, showing how ignorant others are of the danger. Well done!
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty Nerves

Post by Snickie Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:39 pm

XANA had a lot of nerve to pull this kind of attack again. He NEVER repeated failed plans.

The kids sauntered forward confidently to counter him: Aelita and Odd on Lyoko, Jeremie at the controls, and William, Ulrich, and Yumi after the possessed Jim.

What they didn't expect was that XANA had drained two countries of electricity to power his slave.

William and Yumi watched as Ulrich took one trillion volts in the water with enough amperes that his nerves went haywire. And soon enough, they stopped responding altogether.

Returns wouldn't restore. XANA had won.

His death shook their nerves.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Female Posts : 3198

http://snickiedude@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Jeremie’s hands shook as he carefully typed in the code. Odd and Ulrich stood on either side of him though they had no comforting hands to place on his shoulders, mostly because they were both stifling laughter.

“Relax, Einstein,:

“Odd’s right; Lyoko isn’t that bad,” Ulrich said.

Eventually, the time came where Jeremie had to quit stalling and face reality. Virtual reality, that is.

His body was shaking as he entered the scanner, and the next thing he knew, he was flat on a rocky ground.

Once Ulrich and Odd took a look at him, nothing could stop their laughter.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Just so you know: the new drabble is Start.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 pm

She turns, and it’s all in slow motion as green eyes find terrified brown. His lips scream her name, no sound comes out. Blood seeps through his fingers because the wounds suddenly all too real. Yumi lies nearby, unmoving. Odd was lost to the digital sea before they ever made it Earth-side.

And now tentacles curl around her, and she wants to think they’ll save her like they always do but this is Earth, not Lyoko—the rules have changed.

Everything changed.

It’s the beginning of the end, and now there’s nothing any of them can do to stop it.

[[Just to check, we just check in each day and you'll have updated the list in the first post?]]
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:48 pm

KITTY <3 my emotions ;a; It's all so impacting, like everything is suddenly jerked from okay to way not okay. And then the sense of desperation Aelita feels... just yes <3

Fires break out. (Raging, hungry for lives)

Screams resound. (Full of terror and pain, scratching at the soul)

We run with those that are innocent. (They can escape; we cannot)

Howls of grief arise. (Next to half burned corpses and motionless bodies)

We’ve caused this.

We’re broken, but we don’t show it.

Xana is watching as this horror unfolds. We’re sure of it even as we flee uselessly for our lives.

It will only get worse. Beaming through any outlet he can find, the words are projected clearly. They pound their way into our minds.

I’m just getting started.
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Death is just a new beginning, or so they say.

For them, it was the start of many things. The search for a replacement on Lyoko. Counselling. XANA's new edge against them. Legal investigations. Police interrogations. Scary phonecalls from his father.

Ulrich's death had brought about many ordeals, and nothing would ever be the same again. No more awkward encounters, no more jealousy, no more protests against Kiwi's antics.

Most of all, no more best buddy. And returns to the past wouldn't return him to them.

It wasn't a beginning any of them had ever thought to have to face.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:17 pm

My emotions are crying. That's how sad you two are making me.

Vena, the part "they escape, we cannot" is like...it's like they're tried to this chaos they've caused because Xana is their responsibility and they aren't allowed to escape from the effects of their failure. And then this idea that they're just totally broken down by their failure, but they'll never be allowed to show it because Xana is always watching, and because you get the feeling they have to keep trying to fight in some capacity, even thought they just want to give it all up. The sadness D:.

AND SNICKIE. "No more protests against Kiwi's antics." That line right there was like, the kicker. That was the moment where I was like "okay, where are my tissues." And the line "and returns to the past wouldn't return him to them." That's incredible, the way it balances with the word "return" and how it's like, the returns to the past are supposed to be a return to a point before the chaos, but now that illusion is shattered.

You two are just incredible.

Also, I like that all of us were like "Start. That sound so optimistic! ANGSTANGSTANGST."
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Yeah XD

Sniki ;a; I felt like crying when I read "no more best buddy." Since Kitty went on about your drabble, their isn't much left to say but good job Very Happy

Yeah. My brain is silly like that- it sees an optimistic prompt like flower or butterfly and thinks "HEY YOU SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE THIS CREEPY AND DEPRESSING"

...ANGSTANGSTANGST

If any of these prompts sound depressing, I promise I will find a way to make them not. /challenge accepted
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:36 pm

I find it funny how my readers find more hidden depth in my drabbles than I do. Laughing

And don't forget: ANGSTANGSTANGST <3
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Lol Sniki, I know! You write something and people go on and on about how they can't believe this was that, and you're just thinking... "Yeah, let's say that's what I was thinking...."
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:57 pm

I feel I"m making these closer to my time limit than I should be Very Happy

They just didn’t have the chemistry.

That was the reason they finally decided to call it quits. They were a genius, a goofball, an athlete, a punk, and a virtual being. Nothing bound them except their job, and not even the pressure of the world could turn them from the rough coal they were to the dazzling diamonds they could be.

So they did what they could, but the close calls grew and the second chances slowly slipped away.

So on a solemn day that was entirely too sunny, they turned of the computer.

It was over before it started.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

The Daily 100 Word Drabble Competition Empty start (the happy version)

Post by Snickie Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 pm

I made a happy version of "Start" (also titled "Sorry") just so this topic wouldn't be all angstangstangst. But it doesn't go for here; it goes for the weekly. I'm only posting it here because it's halfway relevant.

"What?! How did that happen?! Are you sure you cut the deck correctly?"

"Hey, it's not my fault I had three of them in my starting hand."

"Yeah, right, Odd. You just did that so that I wouldn't beat you again like before."

"Sorry. Go back to start, good buddy."
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 pm

And that leads us to our next drabble!

7/29: Rush
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by CarthagoDelenda Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Oooh, first! This one's maybe tangentially related to rushing, buuut...

---

"So, how’s your girlfriend?”

"Wha-huh?" Ulrich tried his hardest not to look like he had been caught off guard. He turned smoothly on his heel, and kept his face cold. “What girlfriend?”

“You know, Yumi,” William said. His arms were folded across his chest, and now his fingers were tapping rapidly. “You had five months without any competition, so I just assumed…”

His voice was built to sting, but Ulrich wouldn’t let himself fall. “And why is that any of your business?”

“Because,” William said, “Unlike you, Stern, I’m not a coward making excuses.”

“Don’t you dare.”

“I told you, I wouldn’t, if only you had…”
CarthagoDelenda
CarthagoDelenda
Hornet
Hornet

Female Posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Carth! I love William, and that may be making me a bit biased, but.....<3 I really liked that!

And since I didn't reply to anyone's 'Start' yet...

Guys, four of us posted. For Start. And all of them were DEPRESSING. What is wrong with us? Very Happy

I don't know what to even say, but all of them were truly awesome and depressing and we all have issues but I love it and I love you all.

I'm going to make Rush super happy though, just you guys watch. I'm thinking set to the tune of Feel So Close by Calvin Harris. Very Happy
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 am

I decided yesterday that I wanted to make these drabbles into part of an overall story, so there's a good chance mine will still be angstangstangsty. I have Rush halfway written on my laptop, but I'm busy today (always busy on Sundays, but moreso today) and I'm not sure I'll be able to post it.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:20 am

No angst for me this time! Let's see some Odd and Ulrich since I'm always doing Jerlita ones when I'm not doing creepy and depressing ones XD

R for Run.
U for U had better get outta there.
S for Supremely Scary.
H for Heck will be raised.

"That's so stupid, Odd."
"No it's not."
"Yeah it is."
"Let's see you come up with a better one, then."

R for Random
U for Umbrella
S for Stern
H for Hide

"See? That's even worse than mine."
"Shut up. Let's do another word." His roommate groaned when he saw the signature I'm-about-to-tell-a-lame-joke grin on Odd's face. "Don't say it. Don't you dare"
"Why the rush, Ulrich?"
He groaned again. "You said it."

Last edited by Adventurer411 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:23 am

I found two minutes of time to finish this and upload it.

XANA was getting stronger, but this wasn't news to them. His latest attack involved a possessed illegal alien, rat poison, and a box of rusty nails.

Yumi had fallen into the trap immediately. It wasn't her fault, really; she'd been in such a rush to get to the factory that when the man attacked her, she was knocked so hard onto the field of nails that several pierced deep into her flesh. Of course, coated in lethal amounts of arsenic.

Please, she prayed as her consciousness began to fade away. Let them not have too much trouble deactivating the tower.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8273083/9/

Last edited by Snickie on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:24 am

Nice Job, Sniki!
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next