Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer's Block

+3
Snickie
Dr. J
Rei
7 posters

Go down

Writer's Block Empty Writer's Block

Post by Rei Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 pm

(I didn't see a topic on this? If there is one, someone should let me know so I can properly go hide under a rock).

So, I have started three CL fics in my short foray in this fandom. I have almost finished one, have the framework of another, and vague inklings for the last. Problem is, I can't seem to get out of my writer's block!

None of my usual methods are working (reading authors whose work I enjoy, walking away from the fic for a bit, focusing on another creative aspect, using a prompt generator and just writing). I was wondering how do the rest of you deal with this? Any particular challenges in writing for this fandom?
Rei
Rei
Kankrelat
Kankrelat

Back to top Go down

Writer's Block Empty Re: Writer's Block

Post by Dr. J Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Keeping the story fresh is the hardest part. If I need to progress from point a to point b, I follow the Nanowrimo method. Throw in ninjas, and write about the ninjas, then, take them out, and fill in the appropriate monster.
Dr. J
Dr. J
Megatank
Megatank

Male Posts : 382

Character Sheet
Health::
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue0/0Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Energy::
Experience::

http://forestfulloffreaks.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 pm

I feel like adding ninjas would give me bunnies--I mean, I am already thinking of a post-apocalyptic world where Xana wins, and Xana has zombified most of the world (including Jeremy!) while the gang struggle to survive.
Rei
Rei
Kankrelat
Kankrelat

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 am

When I get writer's block, I write poems or rants about writer's block.
Do you at least have an idea of where you want to go with this? You should outline your entire story from start to finish and fill in only the very basic main plot ideas. Then zoom in to parts or chapters and add smaller plot events. Rinse and repeat until you have outlines for chapters.
After that, write a "write-out" for each chapter where you explain everything you want to happen in that chapter and how you're going to write it (straightforward vs purple prose) and how you want the reader to feel by each event. Do this for every chapter and don't leave a single detail out. And no fancy text decorations: these should be done in Notepad, basically, and one file per chapter.
THEN you write your chapters in Word/WordPad/whatever with your Write-Out thing on the screen to remind you of where you're supposed to go with it so you always know what to write and how to write it.

This is what some people call the Zoni method (you can find the (VERY!) Detailed document somewhere in my faves on dA) and it apparently works very well if you're a generally organized person. The author doesn't write for Code Lyoko, though, but her methods are very helpful. I'm not quite at the write-out stage, but I do make lots of outlines and they are helpful.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Female Posts : 3198

http://snickiedude@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 am

This might sound weird, but I take a walk. There’s a nice little walking path at my school that I’ll walk around if I have extra time between classes…Some of my best ideas have come to me while walking there!
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue7/17Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue3/3Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:51 am

Oh, and try to remember your dreams at night. I get some awesomely random plot ideas from that. Lucid dreaming is great for plot ideas. It helps to keep a pen and pad of paper next to your bed so you can write as soon as you wake up before you forget it. Or if your phone has a notepad you can access easily. It also helps to convince yourself that you will remember your dream right before you go to bed/sleep.

Actually I've started writing a CL AU due to some dreams I had.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Female Posts : 3198

http://snickiedude@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Koneko on lyoko Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:31 am

That's the reason I someone recommended this forum to me Very Happy I walk around when I'm thinking of fics. Listening to music with lyrics that kinda fit the genre you're writing for can help or reading a peom or watching a film of a similar genre can help to. Take inspiration from everywhere, I always have a problem with ending long fics...actually I've never finished a long fic before >.>
Koneko on lyoko
Koneko on lyoko
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3243

Character Sheet
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue19/19Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue1/1Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

http://kageyamas-hinata.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Rei wrote:I feel like adding ninjas would give me bunnies--I mean, I am already thinking of a post-apocalyptic world where Xana wins, and Xana has zombified most of the world (including Jeremy!) while the gang struggle to survive.
Oh, man, you neeeeed to write this.

Personally, I juggle around two or three fics at a time to keep myself from getting bored. It also helps to do writing exercises with your character, and have them answer questions that you make up while keeping them in character. It's like talking in your head, but not really! Forcing the writing out also helps. Sometimes, keeping yourself writing is really the most important part. Eventually, out of a crapload of very craptastic writing, you'll find a gem. Smile That's what NaNo helped me with anyway. It helped me get my...mojo back.

Writer's Block Mojo%20Jojo
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue14/18Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue4/5Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 pm

aelitaxwilliam wrote:It helped me get my...mojo back.

Incorrect reference. The correct answer is:
Atlas
Atlas
Admin (Atlas)
Admin (Atlas)

Male Posts : 5304

Character Sheet
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue5/10Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue4/12Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (4/12)
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue0/5Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (0/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 pm

these are really good ideas! 'm going to try the walking around one since I've never tried it before, and it's probably good for my health. Recently I've had a hard time keeping my thoughts from mushing together. Most my best ideas come when I am not writing, but thinking of writing something. I can never get that inspiration once I am in front of a computer, near paper and pencil, which I think is what's frustrating the process.

I've experimented with trying different writing styles too, and that tended to not work. Anyone else had this problem, or is my brain just not wired for it?

@aelitaxwilliam-I am seriously thinking about it, just don't know whose pov it would work best with, Ulrich, Yumi's, or maybe Aelita's, and if it'll be dark where they do kill people, or not dark where they avoid killing. So far the only thing I have is:

Herve's sweet on Aelita. Odd and Ulrich are not amused by it. Yumi is, but that's because she likes Herve and she thinks Aelita needs to be reminded she's not the enemy; that they trust her even if it's the task of not breaking the boy's heart.
Rei
Rei
Kankrelat
Kankrelat

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:31 pm

^ Lol, I have mastered a total of two writing styles. Effed-up and contemplative. So, no, I don't think it's just you! It really is difficult to switch writing styles because to do that, you have to be secure/comfortable enough in your own to not jumble things up. Like, I mean, I can do other writing styles besides the two I listed, except they tend to bleed into anything else I try, so it becomes a combination of styles (or maybe that's supposed to happen, hmm).

I wanted to share one more tip because it actually got me writing today, and I was really happy for that — I should mention that I haven't written anything in ages, so I was so excited. Writing for school assignments can actually be really helpful as long as you really get into it. It's a strange tip, but I was writing my personal essay today, and getting really into the description of the airport, and ended up transferring some of that enthusiasm and inspiration to a new project I'm attempting. I suppose it's a continuation from my NaNo tip, but what I'm trying to say is that writing anything, even for a school project, can be a huge help! The hardest part of writing for me is always getting going, and you seem to be that way too. Razz

Atlas wrote:
aelitaxwilliam wrote:It helped me get my...mojo back.

Incorrect reference. The correct answer is:
The Powerpuff Girls ARE PERFECT THO

aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue14/18Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Writer's Block Left_bar_bleue4/5Writer's Block Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down