Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blushing is overused.

+3
aelitaxwilliam
AeonFrodo
Atlas
7 posters

Go down

Blushing is overused. Empty Blushing is overused.

Post by Atlas Sat May 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Seriously, I hardly even read stories anymore but I'm getting tired of the constant blushing whenever some two people are involved in a romance.

I even remember a phrase about Yumi that went something like "I was blushing so hard my cheeks were purple." Which at that point I would recommend a doctor.

Writers, can you explain to me why this cliche is good again?
Atlas
Atlas
Admin (Atlas)
Admin (Atlas)

Male Posts : 5304

Character Sheet
Health::
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue5/10Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
Energy::
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue4/12Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (4/12)
Experience::
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue0/5Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/5)

Back to top Go down

Blushing is overused. Empty Re: Blushing is overused.

Post by AeonFrodo Sat May 12, 2012 7:05 pm

It's funny because CL itself does a lot of blushing between two characters as well. I've been watching early episodes of CL and Jeremie blushes a lot in front of the computer because Aelita is supporting his efforts and telling him what she has learned.

I don't really use it often in my writing, but I can see why writers are influenced to write characters blushing to indicate romantic interest.
AeonFrodo
AeonFrodo
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3780

Character Sheet
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue11/23Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (11/23)
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue2/4Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (2/4)
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue0/0Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Sat May 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Is this a CL fandom specific pet peeve? As far as I can remember, in most stories I read (which, well, are outside of the CL fandom...), I don't see a lot of blushing. And when I do, it's handled skillfully so my attention isn't drawn to it.

Barring medical reasons, purple is just an unattractive cheek colour. No matter what MAC says, stick it to your eyelids or nowhere at all.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue14/18Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue4/5Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue0/0Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 am

Because it's the easy way. It's found in both good and bad stories. Some capable authors also tend to use it. Obviously there are better ways to deliver the message without reverting to old tactics.

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

The only reason I'd use blushing is the same reason I use frowning, shrugging, sighing, and lip biting.

It conveys what you're trying to say, blushing brings to mind embarrased, frowning is puzzled, sighing is tired...

but I can see why it'd get annoying. Especially when Aelita will blush darker than her hair. That happens so often, but I've always found blushing highly unattractive, and just ugly, so I hate when it gets overused.
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3491

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 am

I fall into this trap every time. I think I picked it up from the show though, where blushing/general awkwardness is basically mandatory in every shippy scene. Razz However, now I'm aware of it I've been trying to cut it out.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 am

That's what the show usd to show romnce, so a lot of authrs use it too...The purple thng dosn't sond norml, thogh. If that ever happns in rel life, I'd suggst callng 911...
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue7/17Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
Blushing is overused. Left_bar_bleue3/3Blushing is overused. Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by RenaYumi Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Jane Austen uses blushing to show character development. When a character is growing emotionally there's usually a lot of blushing (or sweating, which causes flushing, so yeah, blushing.)

Also the CL cast are preteens and then teenagers- hormones, embarrassment, general awkwardness equals blushing.
RenaYumi
RenaYumi
Rekin
Rekin

Female Posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down