Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites

+10
SeeMeInTheShadows
AeonFrodo
Zenoxen
aelitaxwilliam
DarkerIndigo
naruto'sramengirl
Koneko on lyoko
Stella Luce 333
cya6
Soul Jelly
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty Re: Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites

Post by Kittyclaw Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 am

Oh wow Legend, that's actually an interesting use for that feature! I'm sure we've got pleanty of other XL members up near the top in those catagories.

So, about this story removal thing, I have questions for people who've experienced it--I had a fic removed from a sort of dumping ground account I have, used mostly for storage, because I cursed in the summary (I did the summary = line from story thing) and I know that's against the rules so I get it. And I did get an email telling me it was removed and why. So, I'm wondering if others who lost stories were alerted to it being taken down or if they just realized it was gone. And when it was taken down, did you experience all the usual stuff--alerted, story gone, locked out of ff login for so many days, et cetera.

As for whether or not this is an okay thing to do, I agree that it's ffn's rules, and they're allowed to enforce them as they wish--they are kind of making it clear that they will by the reminder posts they're making. But I also believe that MA rated fics are still part of the world of writing, and there should be some kind of outlet for it. Archive of Our Own is for sure a good one, but there's so few decent, user friendly ones out there I feel. It would be nice if they could do something like deviantART (I think they're the ones who do this) where you have to have an account to look at anything the artist deams innapropriate, and then if you can deal with people lying about their age on an individual basis rather than banning something from everyone.
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Female Posts : 316

http://www.fanfiction.net/~Kittyclaw

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty Re: Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites

Post by Hika-chan Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 am

Have you ever heard about "FREEDOM WITH RESPONSIBILITY"?

I don't care about the taking down too much, actually. In Infantrum (Indonesian Fanfiction Author Forum), there were usually some challenge held by the authors (I love to join some) and one of the requirement they attach is "obey the guidelines" so there mustn't any songfic, RPF, rated-MA fic, 2nd POV, etc. Even there were a topic to discuss your 'sin'. I ever write a songfic, a chapter only for author's note, no disclaimer, and a 2nd POV-fic. We try our best to obey the guidelines and don't take it too much--besides, I think it's already clear that the MA stories have to go to AdultFanfiction.net or at least, make the lemon implicit

And the most awesome-not-awesome thing for me is that when you disobey the guidelines and one of the 'senpai's (in japanese this means someone upper than you, as much of us playing in anime fandoms) look at yours, he/she would review your fic and give warning to repair the story. Sometimes, it could turn into flame. Sometimes, if your story taken part in event, it would decrease your points or even disqualified yours. This also applied for spelling and grammar

The only thing I don't like from guidelines, actually, only about songfic and 2nd POV. For the last one, I'm still don't sure. I usually point the POV to a character, but they said it could pointing to the reader--which means disobeying. And about songfic, why don't use a disclaimer, just like the story we use? It's just the same

For review, fave, and follows, I don't believe too much in relation between reviews and the awesomeness of the story, but in English fics it does related. So, it helps me so much.

And oh yeah, the difference of rating M and MA: M is using lime (usually until touching in private areas) and lemon implicit (only mention a little, not describe it), while MA is using lemon explicit. Got it? Very Happy but for gore, well, you call it gore if you describe it until you're horrid Razz

Dream out Loud! =)

P.S: I'm not trying to be proud too much about my country, I'm just trying to describe it. In fandom Screenplay, you could see many Indonesian authors making RPF about K-pop, like Super Junior, Girls Generation, etc. And this is wrong, we knew that--but why FFn won't erase them?
Hika-chan
Hika-chan
Konger
Konger

Female Posts : 13

http://flavors.me/liviaandrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 am

I think we’re basically on an honor system…There are so many new fics & new chapters being posted every day that the admin doesn’t have time to look through them all. I think they make the rules as obvious as they can (you have to agree to the guidelines before posting a new story), & then they trust us to follow them, stepping in only when somebody reports it…
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
Health::
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue7/17Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
Energy::
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue3/3Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)
Experience::
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Hika-chan Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:38 am

Stella: You're right. Besides, there are many language they won't know, right?
Hika-chan
Hika-chan
Konger
Konger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 pm

That's actually a really good point, Hika. And since I'm pretty sure a lot of FFn's ability to regulate the stories comes from other people on the site reporting things, and English seems to be the most represented, I can imagine English stories are going to be the ones getting the most reports against them, and therefore the most take-downs.
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 pm

I should start writing my FFs in Spanish.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Female Posts : 3198

http://snickiedude@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hika-chan Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 am

Kittyclaw is right, and I'm a little bit agree with Snickie. But maybe all we can do is not trying to abuse authors who disobey the guidelines, but giving them concrits--just wish they would understand. And we also obey the guidelines too. Freedom has responsibility!

Dream out Loud! =)
Hika-chan
Hika-chan
Konger
Konger

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:58 am

M/MA fics should be treated with the same amount of respect as ours or anyone elses. M/MA fics are apart of the fandom, not secluded because of their rating. I've written an M fic before and thinking about an MA fic. However, we should face the facts that M/MA fics are not as vile as people picture them to be. A fandom is a place where imagination flows and no limits are placed.

M/MA fics may be not for us, however, they should be treated with the same amount of respect and dignity as any other fic around.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 869

Character Sheet
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0/0Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 am

PeaceKeeper2014 wrote:M/MA fics should be treated with the same amount of respect as ours or anyone elses. M/MA fics are a part of the fandom, not secluded because of their rating.
Fixed.

Apart (from) = secluded
A part (of) = included

In "apart", the prefix "a-" means "not".
The prepositions exist in the phrase so that we can tell the difference when speaking and hearing it.

That error is such a huge peeve of mine.

Carry on.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:42 am

Grammar lesson aside, I agree with Hika-chan and Peace.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 am

Oh right, I'm supposed to state my opinion of all this too, right?

I agree with Hika, PK, and Soul.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:03 am

(no worries Snickie, that confused me too. Razz basically, because apart and a part are complete opposites Razz )

Anyways, this is basically how I feel about M/MA rated fics. I had read a complicated reasoning on why MA fics shouldn't be on, but I disagree with it. (not that I could make much sense out of it. Razz)
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3491

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I have no qualms against M or MA rated fics. If I'm reading an M rated fic, it's usually because of violence. But I agree on them being secluded in their own little area (whether it's a screen that does the secluding, a website, or a button). Simply because, when I was younger, I was barely aware of the ratings, and that is my own fault, but it's the same principal as movies with R ratings or areas of movie/bookstores for adult films/books. I'm also curious as to whether or not this is for some legal reason
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

Post by cya6 Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 pm

I believe there is a legal reason as to why ff needs to enforce a 'no MA' rating.

I read it somewhere on Critics United's FAQ cornucopia. They explained it well enough, but I'm not a legal expert, and don't know how legit the explanation was.
cya6
cya6
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3491

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Probably the same reason I can't walk into an NC-17 movie if I wanted to. Or an R rated one by myself.

At least those are the reasons I'd assume.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:24 am

http://www.fanfiction.net/forum/The_Anti_Tallz_Rebellion/97553/#

This group is actually a great way to stop abuse on FFN. Really, it is a great group. I hope you guys can join. After all, I'm about to release an MA fic for realistic violence, etc.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 869

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am

I completely agree with everyone that M and MA is a part of writing and shouldn't be considered less than it is, but I think the question here isn't whether or not it counts as fanfiction. I don't think FF is denying the posting of this stuff because it doesn't think it's fanfiction, it's doing it because it doesn't allow content with that rating as it hasn't found a viable option for how to filter who sees it (again, as Shadows said, it's probably something similar to how someone under age can't just walk into an R rated movie). I think there's nothing wrong with writing M and MA fanfiction. But I do think it's wrong for us to expect to be able to post it where ever we want, no matter the rules.

Pk, I'm not sure I'm liking the look of this group very much. They look like a bunch of trolls themselves.
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 am

My thought on the matter is that if you don't want to be reported, follow the rules. Same as everywhere in life. You hit the "Yes, I have read and agree to the content guidelines" button, no one else.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:02 am

'points at Shadows' Exactly.
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 pm

PeaceKeeper2014 wrote:M/MA fics should be treated with the same amount of respect as ours or anyone elses. M/MA fics are apart of the fandom, not secluded because of their rating. I've written an M fic before and thinking about an MA fic. However, we should face the facts that M/MA fics are not as vile as people picture them to be. A fandom is a place where imagination flows and no limits are placed.

M/MA fics may be not for us, however, they should be treated with the same amount of respect and dignity as any other fic around.

Tbh, I don't know anyone who thinks them as vile or disrespects them. However, I have seen people acknowledge that M/A fics are typically for older eyes, or at least only for younger eyes that search them out rather than stumbling upon them accidentally. And I think that's the point that FFN is making here. It's reasonable to take precautions so that thirteen year olds don't come across this incredibly violent fic that they may feel uncomfortable with.

*nod* I do agree with you that imagination should flow though, and we are free to write whatever we want. The matter of being able to post it wherever we want is where we differ, I think.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue14/18Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4/5Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 pm

THE NEW FONT ON FF.NET IS AWFUL.

;_;
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Soul Jelly wrote:THE NEW FONT ON FF.NET IS AWFUL.

;_;

I KNOW IT SUCKS. I've been reading for who knows how long but I uploaded my first chapter to my first fic today and I'm like "THIS LOOKS AWFUL!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 am

I thought something looked different…but I thought it was just my computer being weird…
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue7/17Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue3/3Fanfiction.net/fic-hosting sites - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 am

We wish...but we can dream still.... ;-;

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2