Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review

Go down

Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Empty Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review

Post by AeonFrodo Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 am

Code Lyoko Season 1 Episode 8: End of Take

In today’s episode, Hollywood comes to Kadic Academy in form of a new film directed by hotshot James Finson. He, using the Factory as the filming location, would be the least of the group’s problems...

Despite that this episode screams out ‘filler’ the moment it begins, it turns out to be a decent episode altogether. The biggest positive of the episode is that there is a human threat to the group’s secret, in the form of James Finson, movie director, who wants to shoot his new film in the Factory. Now even though he really isn’t a villain, it shows that if any normal person outside of the group knows of their secret could jeopardise the life of Aelita, who has no means to escape from Lyoko. Though Ulrich fails in convincing the director to use a different film location, at least the location of the Supercomputer is still hidden from public view.

I also must credit the realistic element of the episode where mobile phones are confiscated and not allowed on the film set. It’s a great way not to have the film being leaked to gossip magazines and journalists, and it’s not a cheap plot device to have Ulrich and Sissi have no contact with the outside world, including Jeremie and co. Also, the alien itself looks like a crossover between Predator and Alien (movie), which is a nice reference to both those well-known science fiction movies.

The Lyoko section was actually really cool as well, with it being held in the Ice Sector again despite the Desert Sector being shown for two seconds. New monsters are introduced, which are Hornets, flying in a pack of five while shooting very rapid fire upon our heroes. How getting hit by a barrage of lasers didn’t devirtualize Odd, but at least they prove to be incredibly annoying to kill despite only taking one shot. The Lyoko section also involves ice sliding, with Odd having the time of his life while Aelita is petrified and is wondering how Odd is enjoying the ride. However, jumping at the end and then landing on the ground at least ten feet below didn’t cause any lifepoint damage to Odd and Aelita is incredibly surprising. Not only that but later episodes show that falling from a certain height can cause lifepoint damage.

The XANA attack was on both fronts too, with possessing the alien prop on Earth along with creating a false tower next to the real one. Although the false tower did buy the A.I. more time to kill the Lyoko Warriors that remained on Earth, the alien prop and its attacks seriously question its capabilities. What is that goo made of to hold humans against the wall, while it could be easily torn apart by a knife, did XANA change its properties to be capable of doing such a thing? Also, Yumi randomly pulls a swiss army knife from her pocket to set free Ulrich and Sissi from the goo. If that thing is in her pocket all the time, why didn’t she use it against her clone in the last episode? Hell, she could’ve used it while the alien was strangling her.

There are problems with the animation as well, like James Finson has this incredibly demented way of swaying his arms while he walks, while he keeps on changing weight when the camera shows a close-up of his head and neck. The voice acting of the actors also sounds too similar to other characters in the show, perhaps Odd and Sissi’s old voice actors could’ve been used to supply the background characters’ voices. The only character that doesn’t sound anything like the other characters is the guy that shows Ulrich and Sissi around the set and addresses Finson as ‘boss.’

The episode has a good storyline, but the little parts of it ruin the overall experience of the episode itself. At least Jeremie shares my sentiment of ‘ridiculous’ towards some of them.

Score: 6.5/10

Loose bits: Jeremie and the group laugh really loud, funny how they don’t get told off for making noise during a film showing in the school, especially because it was because of Yumi's joke about Odd that caused them to laugh, and not the movie itself.

None of the cast and crew wake up when the elevator is being used by Ulrich and Sissi to escape the possessed alien. When the elevator is being used, it isn’t awfully silent, and since Ulrich told Finson that the elevator isn’t operational shouldn’t they be suspicious? The elevator didn’t return to its original position either on the ground floor, making it even more contradictory that none of the cast and crew noticed it.

How the hell did Yumi hide from the two crew members? She practically climbed up a concrete wall with no footholds, and made it to the top of the wall without making a sound. The crew members should’ve found Yumi there.

Odd jumps towards the Hornets when he’s run out of ammo. Perhaps he was trying to claw them and not commit suicide?

Ulrich lost his left shoe to the alien from just getting out of the elevator. While he’s being strangled, it shows that he lost his right shoe.

Quotes: “Totally ridiculous.” – Jeremie

“How come your teeth were clattering, sound effects?” – Yumi

“How come every time he says there’s nothing to worry about, I get worried. And I mean, worried.” – Odd

“Well, I can’t argue with your taste, I like my films too.” – James Finson

“Conclusion: Never trust Ulrich when he says there’s nothing to worry about.” – Odd

Jeremie, Odd and Yumi: Yay! ...shh.

“Funny, it makes me think of the alien in the film... um... I can’t remember the name.” – Ulrich

“Twenty seconds of glory! Gory glory too.” – James Finson

“I have faith in you Aelita.” – Jeremie

“What’s that? How dare you accuse me of lying to you! I can find another producer you know.” – James Finson
AeonFrodo
AeonFrodo
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 3780

Character Sheet
Health::
Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Left_bar_bleue11/23Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Empty_bar_bleue  (11/23)
Energy::
Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Left_bar_bleue2/4Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Empty_bar_bleue  (2/4)
Experience::
Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Left_bar_bleue0/0Code Lyoko Episode 8 Review Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down