Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else

4 posters

Go down

Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 am

Okay, so there are two trains of thought I have.

1) We can have Honourable Mentions. I like this idea, but I'm not sure if we have enough fics nominated to make it truly viable.

2) My original thought was we could put all fics that didn't win into a poll and have people vote. This would count as our People's Choice.

3) A combination of the two above, we pick stories we think deserve a second shot (Honourable Mentions plus a few more to put into the poll for people to vote on).

Of course, these are not our only three options. Give me your ideas!

Also, I'd like to have the judging done by the 5th, if that's at all possible.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty Re: Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else

Post by Soul Jelly Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Ooh I like that second idea!
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty Re: Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Number 3 is enough. Smile
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 869

Character Sheet
Health::
Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Left_bar_bleue0/0Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Energy::
Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Left_bar_bleue0/0Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Experience::

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I /love/ the third idea. I think the People's Choice should include all the fics nominated though (whether we voted for them or not), since the forum's choice could differ greatly than what the judges' consensus was.

And I just want to do Honourable Mentions. Yesyesyes.

(but, um, I'm seriously fine with anything; these are all great ideas, whether we go with option one, two, or three)
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Left_bar_bleue14/18Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Left_bar_bleue4/5Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55 pm

There should be two winners per section. It actually gives us more opportunities to award more than one exellent story. Maybe 1 newer story winner and one older winner. Idk.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:13 am

I think that kind of defeats the object of having one overall winner. Having runner-ups/Honourable Mentions does the job of acknowledging other excellent fics well enough, without taking away from the first place winner.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 am

Jking, brah.

Maybe public polls to vote for a winner or runner-up? Idk.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 am

Well I think the votes we have were pretty good for determining first and second, since most of the votes with the exception of General were overwhelmingly one direction, or so it seemed.

And I know people want a People's choice, but we've already honored about half the stories, which is perfectly fine. So do we throw all the stories that don't get first and second and have everyone vote on those? That could neatly be a one story Third Place/Honorable Mention.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm going to completely go back on what I said earlier, heh. *prefaces*

I feel like we've awarded enough stories, because for some categories, we've already awarded half the categories' stories. I think it takes away from the exclusive aspect of winning the TCAs, as awful as that sounds. We're currently a very small awards subforum, and we don't have a lot of noms to choose from. Bigger award sites can get away with this because they choose from twenty or thirty stories (which I should've kept in mind when I first posted here Smile), while we're ony choosing from six at the most.

I think we should either do a second place or a people's choice, but not both, if even that much.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam

Character Sheet
Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Left_bar_bleue14/18Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Left_bar_bleue4/5Honourable Mention, People's Choice, Anything Else Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 pm

I was worried about that to begin with, as well.

I was thinking we could release the first place winners, then decide on what we should do from there.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Ooh, good idea. If anything, this is only our first year, so we can take notes here on what to do better next year. And we've done a pretty good job at it too!
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm

I agree! The first run was never going to be perfect, but we haven't done badly at all. Definitely work on getting the winners announced, then that buys us a little time to work out the rest. I also agree that we might be overdoing it with the acknowledgements though~
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down