Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best General

+2
Soul Jelly
SeeMeInTheShadows
6 posters

Go down

Best General Empty Best General

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:55 am

Story Title: In the Moment (one-shot)

Author: Kittyclaw

Rating: K+

Summary: Yumi's knuckles are white, fingers fisted against the keyboard, as the letters burn across her eyes. "You know how to get a hold of any of us. We'll always answer. We love you. I love you. -Ulrich"

Reason for Nomination: Kittyclaw is a ridiculously good author, one of the best in the fandom, imo. This one-shot was/is especially powerful. She really captured Yumi's feelings, and I loved her descriptions. I'm obsessive about descriptions to the point where it's kind of ridiculous, and Kitty's descriptions were just so...pretty. They didn't overwhelm the piece either. The summary makes it seem like a romance fic, but it actually isn't. Ulrich's letter does prompt her to make a huge decision, yes, but the overall focus of the story is Japan vs France, and I feel like Kitty does a great job of contrasting them. Even if life is more hectic in France, that's where Yumi's friends are. One more thing that I love about this is that she does such a great of job of contrasting the past and present. It's all very natural, and the usage of of it was done really well.

Title: Worth
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7470733/1/Worth
By: Adventurer411
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2837085/Adventurer411
Rating: T
Summary: A short retelling of when Aelita attempted to shut off the supercomputer at the end of season 2, told in her point of view. It's sad at first, but I promise it gets happier.

This was a story that was written for me when I was first feeling down and worthless. Because of this, it holds a special place in my heart. I would put this under Angst, but I already nominated a story for that section, and I don't know for sure whether or not a member can nominate two stories in the same category.

Title: Code Lyoko Generations The Rise of Anax
http://www.scribd.com/doc/78565156/Code-Lyoko-Generation-Book-1-The-Rise-of-Anax
By: Technosam
Rating: K+
Summary: XANA was presumed dead at the end the end of episode 95, Echoes. But evidence suggests that it is not so, and he's got a new ally. 50 years after the first Lyoko Warriors met the challenge, a new Generation must rise up to defeat the threat.

I know it's big, but it's good. This guy is an ally of mine and I have been following his story. If anything the amount of effort he put into this is at least worth an honorable mention.

Story Title: And Onwards We Go
Story Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7839238/1/And_Onwards_We_Go
Author: Soul_Jelly
Author Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3356229/Soul_Jelly
Rating: K
Summary: The fight against XANA is finally over, but returning to normal is never easy. Follow-up to 'Echoes'. YxU JxA
Reason For Nomination: This is by far the best 'alternate' ending to Season 4 I've read. It is well-written, she nails the characters involved and how they move on from Lyoko feels realistic. Despite it being a oneshot, it's potentially eight-ten chapters long (10,000 words) in length. Plus this fic is really enlightening too.

Story Title: Attck at the Gym (part of Code:Stores)
Story Link: here
Author: Vena (Advntrer411)
Author Link: here
Summary: A JxA one shot abot a XANA attck in the gym...
Chapter (if applicable): 16
Reason For Nomination: Thre's some JxA fluff alng with some actn, whch is relly true to the orgnel show...Since the collctn isn't listd undr any genre, I figrd that Best Genrl was the perfct place to put it...

Story Title: Code LYOKO: Fragmented Legacies
Author: watfics
Summary: Team LYOKO is back! Besides XANA's new insidious agenda and never-ending schoolwork, is there any time for developing closer relationships? Of course! (A retelling of CL with expansion of elements such as the Project Carthage backstory, and new characters added.)
Reason For Nomination: Another of my 'absolute favourites' in this fandom; the characterisation is perfect, the writing and humour flows effortlessly and the new material is worthy of being canon. "A new kid who also knows about Lyoko joins the group" may be considered an overused trope, so it's extra kudos to this fic for standing out like it does.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

Best General Empty Re: Best General

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Note, I want us to start this next (after drabbles) because of some of the particularly longish stories in here.

Also note, the link on TechnoSam's story is not the ff.net link that was originally reccomended. He asked specifically if I could use this particular link.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:53 am

Are there any particular criteria we're supposed to be judging on? I guess just quality of writing, plot, characterisation, all that jazz?

I've read all of these so I'm just going to say that I cast my vote for 'Fragmented Legacies. It was tough to choose between it, Techno's and Kittyclaw's though.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:56 am

I'd go with TechnoSam's. It was also tough, but I think my vote was worth it.

Also, I'm asking the same as Jelly over here.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 869

Character Sheet
Health::
Best General Left_bar_bleue0/0Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Energy::
Experience::

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 am

Yeah, basically all that jazz. Mechanics as well, and since a lot of these are multi-chap fics, pacing and ability to keep interest is a plus too. For the oneshot fics, the same thing is applied, only throughout the chapter.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Preface: Everyone's stories here are awesome! Unfortunately, we have to cast votes and try to pick a winner amongst all the wonderfulness. /le sigh

I love Kitty's. I had the worst time trying to choose between hers and watfics'. This was simply because while Kitty's writing is fantastic, there were no spelling errors, and pacing was perfect, it's a one-shot. There's nothing against that, but it really does take work to keep up a consistent multi-chaptered story and to keep it good. I'm just so awed by how watfics has managed to write a story that's humorous and just plain good. I could never dream of writing a story that long, and I have tons of respect for people who do it so well. Not to mention, watfics is weaving a great story, and has managed to make me like character profiles (which I was fully prepared to hate upon first seeing them).

I'll have to vote for watfics, since even though Kitty's fic has a more concise style of writing, in a multi-chaptered one like watfics', there's some leeway to go on a bit. And of course, the writing there is fantastically fantastic.

So basically: Fragmented Legacies has my vote, and In the Moment is a close second.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Best General Left_bar_bleue14/18Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Best General Left_bar_bleue4/5Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:12 am

Same. It was down to Kittyclaw's and watfics (they were both well-written), but fragmented Legacies has my vote.
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Female Posts : 1150

Character Sheet
Best General Left_bar_bleue20/20Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Best General Left_bar_bleue3/3Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

So, we've got three for Fragmented Legacies (Vena, SJ, Kelly), one for ANAX (PK), and two more people need to vote (Shadows, Stella).

I want to add, Jell, I don't think I fully appreciated And Onwards We Go until today. I just read it again, in its entirety, and the way you wove it together was just beautiful. And the ending! I love hopeful endings.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Best General Left_bar_bleue14/18Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Best General Left_bar_bleue4/5Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 pm

aelitaxwilliam wrote:I want to add, Jell, I don't think I fully appreciated And Onwards We Go until today. I just read it again, in its entirety, and the way you wove it together was just beautiful. And the ending! I love hopeful endings.

Thank you! ^^;

Are we having an Honourable Mention for each category? Because if we are, I want to put my vote for that to Techno's. His dedication to his work (because it's pretty epic in scope, and he's done a ton of neat formatting with the PDF etc.) is really, really admirable, on top of the story itself being a great read.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:43 am

I know I’m a little late, but I hoping to catch up a little bit…

Once again, everything that’s been submitted has been amazing…but I think my vote has to go to And Onwards We Go. It’s just very rare that a story will make you sit there after reading it, just thinking about what happened…
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
Best General Left_bar_bleue7/17Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
Best General Left_bar_bleue3/3Best General Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 pm

This is easily going to be the hardest category and thus I think discussions will take a little longer.

Kittyclaw's writing was stellar, but something about it didn't quite sit right wtih me. I know that seems a little weird, but I don't know.

TechnoSam's has a lot of effort put into it, but the start is just dry. And I don't think I can forgive the fact that each extra character in it has obviously American names at a French Boarding school. I find it simply unbelievable.

Fragmented Legacies- it's been a long time since I've seen any one fic have the impact that this one did in the fandom. And the fact that it also incorporates an OC well is fantastic. I like the humour, but it didn't capture my interest like it did for some.

Onwards we Go- It's really sweet, and a nice post-echoes look, not about Lyoko being found again but them adjusting to life.

Worth- was really nice, I'm not going to lie, but it just didn't like, do it for me. I mean, it just seemed a little too....fast for such a change for Aelita.

And finally Code: Stories- It was good, and cute, and I really liked the ending.

So for me, it comes between Fragmented Legacies, Onwards We Go, and TechnoSam's.

So, adding in everyone else's, I think Fragmented Legacies wins, with TechnoSam's coming in second. Right?

SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down