Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Deaths

+10
SkystoneNumairian
RenaYumi
SeeMeInTheShadows
Soul Jelly
Coto524
Kittyclaw
Eilorae
Atlas
Snickie
Neron641
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Character Deaths Empty Character Deaths

Post by Neron641 Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Am I the only one who sees that character death is a very under-used concept in Fanfiction...*dramtic pause* especially in CL. The only times I actually see a character die its been(to name a few) in Hazed, Jeremie's death and in Code Lyoko chronicles but, these fics all revolve around Character death whether its William, jeremie or the entire cast. This topic has been created to Talk about this rare sight, why you thimk its so rare and what fics that you've read that do the death well in cases of how they died(whether or not it was not in vain or at least honorable), how it left the other characters handled it emotionally and how left them at the end farao
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Male Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Character Deaths Empty Re: Character Deaths

Post by Snickie Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I once saw a fanfiction where Ulrich kind of goes sociopathic and stabs Jeremie to death, and the actual story took place in the later years, showing the effects it's had on the future Lyoko warriors... Aelita has lost the will to live, Yumi's struck with nightmares (I think she witnessed it), Odd's chances of picking up girls are nil because he's trying to help Aelita recover and they're all like, "Dump the pink hobo and then we'll talk." But either I didn't finish reading it or they didn't update very far into the story. I don't remember. I wish I had followed it so I could be sure.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Female Posts : 3198

http://snickiedude@deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I love me some bodies.
Atlas
Atlas
Admin (Atlas)
Admin (Atlas)

Male Posts : 5304

Character Sheet
Health::
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue5/10Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
Energy::
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue4/12Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (4/12)
Experience::
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue0/5Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (0/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

I once saw another fic where first chapter, BAM XANA attack leaves Odd floating facedown in the river, and then there was a funeral service, and I don't remember what else happened.
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 pm

I forgot about that one thx snickie Very Happy I've been waiting for an update for a while aswell. The name of the fic is What he left and the author is actually is our own cya, WHO HAS NOT UPDATED IN GOD KOWS HOW LONG AND SOME PEOPLE WOULD LIKE FOR THE STORY TO PROGRESS Exclamation
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickie Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

-has been reminded-

MOAR ANGSTY PLEAZE! Very Happy
Snickie
Snickie
Admin (Snickie)
Admin (Snickie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilorae Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:20 pm

The farthest I've gone in CL is TE gang being stripped of their old human values and replaced to the heartless ones Xana gave them.... That doesn't appear till the sequel that I still need to write.
Eilorae
Eilorae
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2951

Character Sheet
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue101/21Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (101/21)
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue2/4Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (2/4)
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue0/0Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I did one where everyone dies, so you get to see this slow progression of how everyone reacts to certain deaths--Jeremy's the main loss, and then briefly Aelita before everyone kicks it, and one with Aelita dead pre-story. I kind of imagined it as if losing Aelita is this kind of loss of hope/wonder among the gang, and then losing Jeremy is kind of like losing their fire--they keep fighting Xana, but there's this sense of fear and going through the motions without someone who's constantly giving them new angles and leads and ways of looking at things. As for other authors, from what he told me, Kikaruu (who used to be on here and does awesomness with words) did one where he worked his way through the characters till the very end. It's a multichap fic, so it would certainly allow lots of room to see the different deaths and all the reactions to them explored nicely. Also our own Snowy wrote a story called What We Can't Control that looks at the death in a really interesting way. Def one of my favorites of hers :]
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Female Posts : 316

http://www.fanfiction.net/~Kittyclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Coto524 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:44 am

Shadows wrote a good fic called When The Lights Go Out. The basic premise: during a Hallowe'en dance, the lights go out, and when they turn on someone is dead. And it keeps happening, and there's no way out, and everybody dies and IT WAS A GOOD FIC.

Btw, thanks for the fanfic recs, people.
Coto524
Coto524
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Male Posts : 3955

Character Sheet
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue19/19Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (19/19)
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue9/9Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (9/9)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 am

^Ditto that, I need to go and read all these. Razz

I've touched on the theme of death in one or two my drabbles but I've never written anything like it on a huge scale in this fandom. Interesting that this topic should come up now though, because I have two multi-chapter fics and one oneshot in the work that do include character deaths. I've been getting all the fluff out of my system so far.

I think Code Lyoko does lend itself well to that kind of dark content, especially considering how many near-death experiences the gang had in the show. It's cool to see people exploring that concept.
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:37 pm

*Raises hand*

I used to write a TON of character death. I still have a couple left, but I deleted the majority of them a couple years back (I know, I know, I'm sorry. When the Lights Go Out being one of them. Here at the bottom, is the discription of all of them, which sit on my harddrive (if you ever want to read them, drop me a PM, but bear in mind, they're pretty badly written).

I've switched more over into hurt/comfort since then (reading, if not writing).
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I love those fics. Not because I am a sadist freak, but most of them are actually very good.

Why it's rare: not everyone wants to see their favorite characters die. Generally, fics with character deaths as a main theme aren't the most popular among readers.

I am sure I have read at least four or five really good ones. Finding them will be kinda tricky, but I will try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 am

I definitely agree with the "my favourite character dyed" thing turning people the other way, but at the same time it depends how they die(like I addressed earlier) what also matters is the build up to their death.
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyclaw Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

Neron, I totally agree that statement. I was thinking that character death seems to be pretty popular, but after what shadows said about the hurt/comfort move and what you just added, I think we just really like to see our favorite characters put through the ringer, but we really like it if they come out okay in the end.
Kittyclaw
Kittyclaw
Megatank
Megatank

Female Posts : 316

http://www.fanfiction.net/~Kittyclaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 am

I agree with you aswell they want to see all the characters in a happy ending but at the same time the reason why everyone hated the season 2 finale of Digimon( other then the mattxSora thing) is that everybody having a super epic ending with awesome jobs and families was really unrealistic and with the very adult themes both digimon and code lyoko im surprised they would pull a **** move like that
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 am

Something I would like to see is have the team get a new recruit that dies in combat. Any thoughts
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by RenaYumi Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:35 am

One of the best fics I ever read was based on a song called The Fool
I'm the fool in love with the fool
Who's still in love with you

And it's done from Emily's POV, and she's talking to Yumi about how she needs to let go of Ulrich because he and Emily are together now. It comes out towards the end that Emily is sitting on Yumi's grave talking to her. And it's so well done and I pretty much bawl my eyes out every time I hear that song now. It was so well done.
RenaYumi
RenaYumi
Rekin
Rekin

Female Posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by SkystoneNumairian Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:48 am

Personally I tend to avoid character death so I can sympathize with others that do the same. There are a few gems out there that I actually did enjoy, but most I find just feel rushed and overly angsty.

Neron641: I would probably read something like that. Sounds like William taken one step further.
SkystoneNumairian
SkystoneNumairian
Creeper
Creeper

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:13 am

I think William would be a great volunteer for set death, it would me happy and would get to see a huge group of fan girls baling their eyes out.. its win-win clown
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by eseiprahs Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm

I haven't really noticed the character death bit. There was one CL story I read where the death of a character was so unexpected and sad. I won't say whicch one it is though so I don't give it away.
eseiprahs
eseiprahs
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 5177

Character Sheet
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue18/18Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (18/18)
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue1/1Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3757556/eseiprahs1     http://eseipr

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Could you maybe tell us what story it is Razz
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by eseiprahs Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Like the title of it you mean?
eseiprahs
eseiprahs
Polymorphic Spectre
Polymorphic Spectre

Female Posts : 5177

Character Sheet
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue18/18Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (18/18)
Character Deaths Left_bar_bleue1/1Character Deaths Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3757556/eseiprahs1     http://eseipr

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 am

Neron641 wrote:Something I would like to see is have the team get a new recruit that dies in combat. Any thoughts

I love this idea. It would really emphasise how much Lyoko isn't just fun and games and how life-threatening XANA's attacks can actually be. Plus you'd have all the ramifications afterwards; the team dealing with the guilt they feel, etc.

If anyone sees a fic where this is done, let me know please so I can read it. Razz
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SMARTAgentKC Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm not a particular fan of death, usually if one of my characters dies, they usually die a noble death usually giving their all to defend others or to make a last stand for what they believe in.
SMARTAgentKC
SMARTAgentKC
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 542

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Neron641 Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Soul_Jelly wrote:
Neron641 wrote:Something I would like to see is have the team get a new recruit that dies in combat. Any thoughts

I love this idea. It would really emphasise how much Lyoko isn't just fun and games and how life-threatening XANA's attacks can actually be. Plus you'd have all the ramifications afterwards; the team dealing with the guilt they feel, etc.

If anyone sees a fic where this is done, let me know please so I can read it. Razz

fic? i meant in Evolution
Neron641
Neron641
Insekt
Insekt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next