Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xana's Lair
Welcome to the cave of the beast, brave adventurer. Dare you enter? If you do, please register an account and we'll see you at the mouth of the deep, dark cave.
Xana's Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Drabble

+2
Soul Jelly
SeeMeInTheShadows
6 posters

Go down

Best Drabble Empty Best Drabble

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am

Story: Spectroscope
Author: Kyjar
Rating: K+
Summary: Or: A lot of pretentious, rambling blather. Drabbles and some shortfics here. Origins I: the rubicon uploaded 1114
Chapter: One
Reason For Nomination: For starters, I love drabbles, because they have to convey a lot in not a lot of space. This one is 100 words exactly, but you wouldn't realize that it that exact amount because it flows so naturally. It starts of sort of carefree and slowly transitions into something not so much. It tells an entire story in so few lines and no matter how much I reread it, while I think I understood it, I am not one hundred percent sure. The ending is also haunting.

Story Title: The Kadic Dossier
Author: Stonecreek
Rating: T
Summary: A collection of drabbles/ficlets surrounding any and all CL characters set to different prompts.
Chapter: #50. Sissi, for the prompt 'Aelita'.
Reason For Nomination: I could have nominated any chapter for this, but it was incredibly hard to choose. I went with this one because it's slightly more unusual, and I've been missing my slash in this fandom. Awesomely funny and cute snapshot of what might happen if Sissi decided to pursue a different romantic interest.

Story Title: Recollections
Story Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7981905/8/Recollections
Author: Soul_Jelly
Author Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3356229/Soul_Jelly
Summary:100-word Code Lyoko drabbles written to prompts from XANA's Lair.
Chapter (if applicable): 8
Reason For Nomination: It shows a different side to Mr. Delmas, and with the word count restraint, it's well done to the author for pulling it off and getting my nomination.

Story Title: Recollections
Author: Soul Jelly
Chapter: 9
Reason: I loved it when I saw it in the drabbles thread, and when I was trying to go through drabble collections on FFN, I saw it again. One of best things about a good drabble is conveying a lot of emotion in such a tiny space. Almost immediately, you get where this is going, and Jell sets the scene pretty quickly. I also love the little details and the part about Jim at the end! Oddly depressing, but still a great drabble, of course.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Female Posts : 4157

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1664845/

Back to top Go down

Best Drabble Empty Re: Best Drabble

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 pm

I figured that we could start off with drabbles first (just going in order at this point, not to mention they're easier).

Soul, since you have two drabbles up for nominations, I don't know how you feel about judging this particular section (that's what you get for being a good author) but if you could come up with your own beliefs about the first two (the ones that aren't yours), that'd be awesome!

So first things first, read over all of them and then formulate a response (as of right now, Kelly and I are judging this, so if we want to do it over YIM, that's fine).
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 pm

I've got a minute to spare so I'll post on this one first.

I know I nominated Stonecreek's (who is one of my favourite writers for sure, so I wanted to make sure he got some recognition somewhere), but my vote goes to Spectroscope. It inspired two pages of analysis in the Discussion thread due its ambiguity, and there are just so many layers in it. I love the writing, the description, the tone, everything.

That said, I love Stonecreek's because I have a soft spot for SissixAelita, the imagery is super super cute, and the writing itself is great.

No comment on those last two drabbles, for obvious reasons. Razz
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:29 pm

I think I would rather go to Kadi Dossier. There are so many varieties of drabbles in that one single story, that I couldn't help but smile at the end when I was finished. There were ones that were funny, there were ones that were sad, there were ones that made me wanna curse in a good way.

Part 18 made me wanna do the same thing with a drabble. It justs seems so appealing to my sense of humor. And, the fact that it sounds like a salute to Samuel L. Jackson and his famous f-bomb, it just makes me wanna demand more from the author.

The writing was fabulous. The vocab is strong and the stories are immersive in a lot of different prespectives. From drabbles that make you wanna tear to the ones that make you laugh out loud, (more of Part 18), this drabble collection is worth the look. It has 50 chapters of short, but fruitful drabbles, and it has that extra feel for different kinds of drabbles.

So, Kadic Dossier has my official vote.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 869

Character Sheet
Health::
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue0/0Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Energy::
Experience::

Back to top Go down

Post by aelitaxwilliam Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am

Admittedly, I haven't read it all, but you're right, the Kadic Dossier is AMAZING (yay Jell for nominating it, I wouldn't have found it otherwise). Very Happy I love how there are so many characters and events to explore, and it's all so interesting. It's really cool to see how one author can just spin CL on its head in so many ways (do I make sense?! haha, I hope I do). And wow, I just read chapter 18, and it was funny. The characterisation was great and it also appealed to my sense of humour! /high five Unfortunately, as much as I think it would've made the cut to be nominated at the very least, I don't think we're judging the stories as a whole. I think we're actually judging the specific chapters that have been nominated out of each collection/story against the other chapters that have been nominated out of each collection/story.

If I'm not just being totally out of it, we're judging chapter 50 (sigh! no chapter 18, blahh) of The Kadic Dossier against chapter 9 of Recollections against chapter 8 of Recollections against chapter 1 of Spectroscope.

Also, can I just say that all these collections have such great names? I'm going to need to go on a title-stealing spree or something.
aelitaxwilliam
aelitaxwilliam
Moderator (Desert Sector)
Moderator (Desert Sector)

Female Posts : 4579

Character Sheet
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue14/18Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (14/18)
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue4/5Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (4/5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Luce 333 Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:17 pm

All of these drabbles are very good, & it’s not easy to pick just one…but I think Pop by SJ is my favorite of the bunch. I just love the last line...
Stella Luce 333
Stella Luce 333
Spectre
Spectre

Female Posts : 2637

Character Sheet
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue7/17Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (7/17)
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue3/3Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

http://www.fanfiction.net/~stellaluce333

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Jelly Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 am

Now I kind of wish I'd nominated something else from The Kadic Dossier. Aw well, that's what I get for not refreshing my memory of the entire 50+ before I chose something. Heh heh.

General question: How are we to decide in the event of lots of differences of opinion?
Soul Jelly
Soul Jelly
Scyphozoa
Scyphozoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Adventurer411 Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:28 am

It took me a while to decide because all of them are well written, but my vote goes to Pop. It's short and flows nicely despite the word limitation.
Adventurer411
Adventurer411
Judge
Judge

Female Posts : 1150

Character Sheet
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue20/20Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (20/20)
Best Drabble Left_bar_bleue3/3Best Drabble Empty_bar_bleue  (3/3)

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:53 pm

In the case of lots of different opinions, we go to discussions. What we liked, what we didn't like, etc.
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by PeaceKeeper2014 Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 pm

For our discussion, The Kadic Dossier deserves it for the reasons previously stated. I liked how it was more different from the others listed here.

I liked the variety of drabbles. There are so many different ones, that it sparks various interest to many others who want something that The Kadic Dossier has.

I like all of the drabbles here that have tried to achieve various varieties of drabbles. However, I dislike the restrictions on the other drabble stories. They did not do many varieties, limiting it to certain people. So does the TKD. However, The Kadic Dossier is more open to all fans of drabbles. Period.
PeaceKeeper2014
PeaceKeeper2014
Tarantula
Tarantula

Male Posts : 869

Character Sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeMeInTheShadows Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:07 am

Well, it seems that the majority goes to Pop (Vena, Kelly, Stella, and I voted for it). PK, I get what you mean when you say varieties of stories, but we're only judging the one drabble (Sissi, Aelita), so it's like all the other drabbles except chapter fifty just disapeared (creepy, right?). I liked Sissi, Aelita, but I thought it lacked what I look for in a drabble.

So my vote goes to Pop (as mentioned above).
SeeMeInTheShadows
SeeMeInTheShadows
Mistress of Butterflies
Mistress of Butterflies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down